Sunday, October 31, 2010

Metal Monday: The Misfits

I know what you're thinking: It's not Monday, and the Misfits aren't metal. Both of these things are true. But it's Halloween, and that means I'm listening to the horror punk band led by Glenn Danzig. And if I don't somehow tie it in to a regular feature, then RwH turns into "Stuff I Like" and I'll get even fewer readers than I already have.

Danzig left the Misfits after a couple of albums and formed Samhain and then eventually Danzig.
I was a fan of Danzig, the band, before I knew about the Misfits (and I recommend that everyone give Danzig's first two albums, "Danzig" and "Lucifuge" a try). The first Misfits song I ever heard, actually, was "Last Caress," which I found while putting together a CD of the original versions of all the songs featured on Metallica's "Garage Inc." -- a double album of covers and medleys that pays homage to the metal giants' influences. (Oh, how I miss Napster.) I eventually picked up a copy of "Walk Among Us" and was hooked; punk really isn't my thing, but there's just something about Danzig's voice and the Misfits' themes that I really enjoy.

The Misfits released some stuff after Danzig left, but it isn't very good, and it's particularly not good if you don't like punk music.

Like most punk bands, the Misfits have short songs. So you get a trio in today's post: "Halloween," a good song that is clearly appropriate; a cover of "Monster Mash" in an effort to provide some familiarity to those for whom this isn't their particular brand of vodka; and "Skulls," my favorite Misfits track.

Happy Halloween, all.










No comments: