Monday, October 25, 2010

Introducing...Metal Monday

So, this is kind of goofy, or probably really goofy, but I've decided to start a new feature on RwH called, you guessed it, Metal Monday. Many of you know my musical tastes, and I thought I'd use this space to introduce you to some of the stuff I listen to. I'm hardly an authority on heavy metal, but I've got a list of bands -- a long list of bands -- to check out, and when I come across ones I like, I'll post them here. I won't, I don't think, feature much (or any) of the old standbys that everyone knows about. Rather, I'll try use it to introduce you to a band I've only recently heard of (even if they are actually quite old), with the hope that you'll find some stuff that you like.

This first installment is a band called Ensiferum, a Finnish folk metal outfit. I discovered them some time last year, through Pandora, and found myself listening to playlists on YouTube as I studied for exams. I don't plan on trying to link every Metal Monday post to basketball and the Celtics, but I thought that on the eve of a new season, "Victory Song," from the 2007album, titled "Victory Songs," would be a good way to kick this off. Folk metal is kind of a wonky genre and the songs tend to sound the same, but give this a shot. Tthe headbanging starts around the two-minute mark of the video:



FIGHT!
Fight with the rage of a bear!
DEFEND!
Our homeland!
CRUSH!
Crush every enemy!
AND SEAL!
Our victory!


No comments: