Thursday, October 14, 2010

Links of the Day (October 14, 2010)

  • The NBA needs to get cheerleaders and photographers away from the baseline before this turns into something much worse. A few years ago, I was watching a Celtics-Rockets game from the '80s on NBATV, and one of the things that stuck out was how much room there was between the baseline and the photographers. At least a foot more than we have today. Given advances in camera technology, this seems unnecessary, and I can only assume that photogs and cheerleaders are squeezed so that the fans can get closer to the action. I'm afraid it's going to take a serious injury to an important player before this rules gets changed, though.
  • Interesting post by Zach Harper (guest-editing TrueHoop) regarding building a team around point guards. I, of course, have an affinity for ones, but I agree that size trumps, at least where the size in question's "greatness" is more or less equal (relative to other size) to a point guard's "greatness" (relative to other point guards). In other words, yeah, I'd take a a great pivot over a great point. But, especially in today's NBA, there are a bunch of good-to-great point guards, and not so many great posts. (Just ask Shaq.) Not that I think that Harper was saying any differently, but I would never pass up a great point guard for a less-great big man.
  • I think the above is one of the more incoherent paragraphs I've ever written. Fortunately, someone named Joe Gerrity over at Hornets 24/7 has a more eloquent riposte to Harper. Of course, the Hornets have Chris Paul; I'll let you draw your own conclusions about what effect, if any, this has on Gerrity's opinion.

No comments: