Wednesday, October 21, 2009

RwH on BDL

So, as many of you know, I'm involved in a kickass fantasy basketball league and I lived in Las Vegas this summer.

What do these two things have to do with each other?

This. (Scroll down about halfway, 'til you get to the picture of a bunch of people in Oden-head t-shirts. I'm in the back row, second from the left, between the tall guy and the guy who looks like the PC dude. For an explanation of the LOLcat-ism "Needs Moar Wolves," go here or here.)

Some explanation is probably necessary at this point. With one exception that is probably pretty obvious, the people in that picture are in my fantasy basketball league. The picture was taken at NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, which for the past two years has been something of a get-together for some of us. At this point, I'll allow my friend in the hat to take over:

I saw the shirt for $4.99 in the Adidas outlet store about a month prior to Summer League. I bought one, thinking the hilarious Oden head with big cheesy grin was the perfect shirt to wear to Summer League. The shirt was a hit, so [the woman pictured] decided to go scoop up a bunch more. She went to the outlet, bought like 8 more of them and we handed them out to the crew. So I picked out the shirt, but she executed the rest.

We were pretty loud and the NBA photographer asked to take our pic. It never got posted on NBA.com so I feared it was lost forever. Thankfully, it lives!

"We were pretty loud" is something of an overstatement: we're the "mock cheering section" referenced in the last paragraph of this recap of a day of Summer League games.

Anyway, not sure how the Ball Don't Lie guys got the picture, unless it made it on NBA.com and we never found it.

While I'm posting silly Summer League-related things, I actually was very reluctant to wear the Oden-head shirt, because I was already wearing a sweet shirt of my own: A Jonny Flynn Black Mass Reverends draft day t-shirt. The Revs are the name of my fantasy team, and I had just taken Flynn with the fifth pick overall in my rookie draft. I commissioned a good friend to make me a logo, and she did an awesome job. I had the shirt made, and later in the week our Commissioner got a photo with Flynn and the shirt.

Man, this season really needs to start.

No comments: