Thursday, October 15, 2009

Preseason Game #5: Boston 106, Toronto 90

[recap] [box score]

Highlights courtesy of Celtics Life.

CelticsBlog recap.

Overly-excited analysis from Celtics Hub.

My thoughts on what I've read today:

-Kevin Garnett had a couple of dunks on lob passes, which has everyone excited. I feel a little funny celebrating every time KG does something and doesn't get hurt -- that kind of attitude doesn't exactly instill confidence -- but Garnett does keep looking better and better in the highlights I see. That can't be anything other than a good sign.

-I'm going to take the liberty of chalking up Marquis Daniels' lackluster performance (zero points on 0-for-6 shooting in 16 minutes) to being the aftereffect of whatever stomach bug caused him to miss the second half against New Jersey on Tuesday.

-Rasheed Wallace didn't play, but I haven't heard that it's because the ankle injury he suffered Tuesday was serious. It's likely Doc was planning on resting 'sheed against Toronto anyway, though I'm sure the tweaked ankle made that decision.

-It's nice to see Lester Hudson contribute a strong game (12 points in 13:30 of court time), but I don't see him as anything more than a fixture of the Maine Red Claws' starting lineup in the D-League this season. And, frankly, I'm not sure I want to. Hudson is a scoring guard on offense who has to defend point guards because of his size -- the same player description that applies to Eddie House (though their methods of scoring are different). I suppose if Hudson beats out House fair and square that's one thing, but that seems a remote possibility right now. If Hudson gets decent minutes with the big club during the regular season, one of three unpleasant possibilities is overwhelmingly likely: Doc is sitting House too much; the Marquis Daniels at point guard experiment isn't working; or someone's hurt.

I'm looking forward to what Hudson brings to the table, but unless he's ready to come in and contribute at House's level, I'd rather not see him. We've got a championship to win.

No comments: