Monday, November 22, 2010

Metal Monday: Giving Thanks

What's a Monday without metal? I hope something good, because most of my readers, being located on the East Coast, won't read this until Tuesday morning. (This assumes, of course, that I have readers other than my father and sister, who both have informed me that Metal Monday is "not my favorite feature of your blog." Philistines.)

I wanted to do a Thanksgiving theme, because it's timely and a good way to appear clever without putting in much effort. (I'm awfully busy these days.) I considered doing a tribute to Metallica, the band that got me interested in this genre of music so many years ago, but those guys are the godfathers and deserve a much more thoughtful treatment than I have time to give them at the moment.

So I decided to keep it simple. What am I thankful for? Metal, among other things. And with that, I give you "The Metal" by Tenacious D (Jack Black's band).

Fine. I'll admit it. This song was at the forefront of my brain because I watched "School of Rock" last night.

Despite being a not-so-serious song by a not-so-serious band, it actually has a quite a few elements of great metal songs: the opening riff, the spoken part at the beginning, the "machine gun" guitars toward the end (when Black is yelling names of bands), and the high-pitched vocals interspersed throughout (a feature of death metal that careful readers may recognize from the Mercyful Fate post). Black's a pretty good frontman, too.

Enjoy.







2 comments:

Emily said...

If Metal Monday always featured Tenacious D, I'd enjoy it more.

H.S. Slam, Ph.D said...

I didn't know you liked the D.