Monday, November 29, 2010

Metal Monday: Faith No More

Not quite metal, but heavy nonetheless. Faith No More broke up in 1998, but have recently reunited for shows here and there -- including two at the Hollywood Palladium this Tuesday and Wednesday. Unfortunately for me, school is preventing me from attending either show -- a decision I struggled mightily with, especially because I skipped Metallica two years ago to study for my Civil Procedure exam and did terribly on it.

You probably know Faith No More from "Epic," the most popular track off of 1989's "The Real Thing." ("Epic" may be responsible for the majority of rap-metal out there, something I, at least, am willing to forgive the band for.")

"The Real Thing" is one of the albums I remember the most from my adolescence. I had the cassette, and I remember I made a mixed tape consisting solely of songs from it, Peal Jam's "Vitalogy," Soundgarden's "Superunknown," and Stone Temple Pilots' "Purple." All of the Faith No More songs I put on that tape were from Side A of that album. It was months, at least, before I bothered listening to Side B -- and when I did, it was like a whole different album. Contrast "Falling to Pieces" (Side A) with "The Real Thing" (Side B), below, and I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

Focusing only on one album doesn't do the band justice, because experimentation and variety are what Faith No More is known for. But it's the album I know best, and it's the one that fits best here. In addition to the two songs mentioned above, I've also included a cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" (which also can be found on that album), as well as a collaboration with the Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E. from the Judgment Night soundtrack, a great soundtrack that pairs up alternative bands with rap groups (if you like this sort of thing, check the album out).











No comments: