Friday, December 26, 2008

Los Angeles Lakes 92, Boston 83

Well, we weren't going to win 'em all.

[recap] [box score]

Up two points with four minutes to go in LA is about all we can ask for, and we were there last night. That we didn't close it out is disappointing, but the Lakers needed a big-time performance from Pau Gasol down the stretch to close it out, not to mention a couple of big three-pointers from Lamar Odom to even be in that spot. I'll take my chances against those guys.

I came into this season thinking that, even if we were the defending champs, the Lakers were the team to beat. That opinion hasn't changed all that much despite our record-setting start, although the Lakers' inability to play consistently good defense had me less worried about them as the season has progressed. If anything, then, that we were so close to winning in LA despite being thoroughly outplayed is fairly reassuring. It's kind of weird to say, but given that the Lakers got the contributions they were lacking last ear from guys like Gasol and Odom and still barely beat us, I feel pretty good about last night.

We're back in action tonight, at Golden State at 10:30 pm Eastern. The game's on NBATV, so I won't be able to see it. I'm also heading out of town for a couple of days, so I won't be able to blog about it either. I'll be back to post on Sunday, after we play the Sacramento Kings.

No comments: