Sunday, December 28, 2008

Boston 108, Sacramento 63

Not a whole lot to say substantively on a night when the Kings couldn't hit Mexico if they fell out of Texas.

[recap] [box score]

I don't take much joy in embarassing hapless Sacto on its homecourt, not when two of my favorite non-Celtic NBA players, Beno Udrih and Donte' Greene, play for them. They are without Kevin Martin, who is clearly their best player, and his backup, Francisco Garcia, didn't play the second half because of an injury. Neither guy is likely to have mattered tonight, but still, as blowouts go, given that we had just lost two in a row, this one could have been expected.

However, I will note the following: With 3:12 to go in the game and the score 104-58, Kings rookie Jason Thompson went to the line for a couple of free throws. At that moment, it occurred to me that Sacramento had not yet scored the number of points that Boston had scored in the first half (it was 59-34 at the break). When Thompson missed both freebies, I allowed myself the thought that perhaps the Kings would go scoreless the rest of the way, and we'd have scored all the points we needed to score in the first half. Alas, 34 seconds later, Quincy Douby knocked down a couple from the line, and there went that.

Still, it got me thinking a little bit about this, and whether it's ever happened in NBA history, or, say, the shot-clock era, to make it easier. More specifically, I noted that when Kevin Garnett knocked down a 22-footer to make it 64-34 with 10:38 left in the third quarter, Boston had scored every point it needed to score the rest of the game. The Cs could have gone scoreless for more than 22 and a half minutes and still theoretically have won.

I'm keenly interested in this stat for some reason, at least for the time being. Preliminarily, let's call it Time To Winning Points (TTWP). The Celtics' TTWP against the Kings was 25:22. Because I have no way of going back and figuring it out myself, I'm calling it a record and will be monitoring it via NBA boxscores for the rest of the season, and, perhaps, eternity. If someone with access to the Stats, Inc., database wants to check to see where Boston's accomplishment ranks all-time, or wants to email John Hollinger and bug him to do it, I'd be very interested in the results.

Note: After I wrote this, I went back and read some old posts, and realized that last year's 104-59 win over the Knicks was a good candidate for a game with a better TTWP than this one. However, a Ray Allen triple with 10:04 left in the third quarter gave us a 60-31 lead, making our TTWP for that game 25:56, 34 seconds longer than tonight against Sacto. The record stands!

-I want to take a moment to reflect on the Golden State loss, which came as a disappiontment, though not necessarily a surprise, when I saw the score in my grandmother's living room on Saturday morning. I was worried about that one, because I figured we'd have a big letdown after the Lakers game and maybe wouldn't be all that "up" for the Warriors, who like to go up and down and whose arena can be a nightmare for visiting teams. I figured we might get behind early and never really challenge, or maybe keep it close (Golden State's defense is horrible, so it's hard to fall too far behind) but not have anything left for a big push.

I was not expecting, however, to lose an eight-point fourth-quarter lead that had been as big as 14 in the second half.

Everyone seemed to chalk it up to being tired, but I just don't know. It's hard to say for sure without having watched the game, but it seems just as likely to me that this was just one of those days, one of those games that happens over the course of an 82-game season. And I know Perk didn't play (he aggravated his shoulder injury against LA), but you don't need a lot of size against Golden State, and it seems that it wasn't their inside guys who hurt us; the damage was done on the perimeter.

I said at the beginning of the season and have reiterated throughout that I don't mind losing to teams we won't have to worry about during the playoffs. I was taking for granted, however, that we'd earn home court advantage. After all, we just set the record for best 29-game start in NBA history; who'd have thought that Cleveland would match us nearly win-for-win and we'd gain all of one game on the Cavs during our 19-game winning streak? The bottom line is that these losses against the Woyas and the Pacers and the Nuggets become increasingly important now that the Cavs, who stand at 26-4 to our 28-4, seem poised to make their own run at history. The Cavs are good enough this year that home court advantage could well decide a playoff series with them, so every game matters.

To that end, then, it would be nice, rest of the NBA, if you'd stop giving away games to the Cavs at home. Cleveland beat Miami Sunday night to move to 16-0 at the Q; the Heat had a nine-point lead heading into the fourth quarter and lost by seven. And this came on the heels of the Christmas Day game with Washington, when the lowly Wizards couldn't hold on to a seven-point lead with 1:39 to go, surrendering the game's final 11 points in a 93-89 loss. Watching that one after seeing Boston lose to LA was pretty sick.

-Speaking of the Warriors, which I was a few paragraphs ago, I'm sure there are some Lakers fans who would like to point out that those Warriors got crushed at Staples Center tonight, 130-113. Lest they get too excited, however, I'd like to remind them that LA's third loss of the season was to...the Kings, 113-101, and Sacto didn't have Martin in that one, either.

Next game is Tuesday, December 30, at Portland (10 pm Eastern, no national TV). I'll be in Atlanta for a wedding, but should be able to watch the game and post about it at some point on the 31st.

No comments: