Monday, December 20, 2010

The Garden Has A Championship Feel

Back in November, I attended a wedding at which Jeff Clark, founder of Celtics Blog, was also a guest. Jeff was kind enough to spend a few minutes talking blogging and ball with me, and one of the things he had to say was, essentially, that there was a different vibe around the Celtcs this year than there was last year. (See this post from earlier this month, particularly the last three paragraphs.) I had sensed it, too, but hearing it from someone who has actually spent some time around the team affirmed it. Maybe it's hard to put a finger on it, but Boston doesn't seem like they are going to let off the accelerator the way they have after fast starts in each of the past two seasons. It just feels like these guys are out to prove a point -- to make a statement -- every time out. It's the same sort of attitude the 2007-08 team took on its way to the franchise's 17th title banner.

Sunday marked the fourth consecutive year I've made the trip to Boston to catch a Celtics game the weekend before Christmas, and I can tell you that the fans at the TD Garden are also in championship form.

Full disclosure: I didn't grow up in Boston and never made it to the old Garden. In fact, I've only been to seven Celtics games in Boston that I can recall. I've therefore never experienced a true "Garden" crowd, and of all the Celtics bloggers out there, I'm perhaps the least qualified to testify as to what a true Celtics championship crowd is (though I was fortunate to be part of the crowd at Game 1 in the 2008 Finals). But I can tell you that the Boston fans know that something special is happening on the hardwood in their series.

The place was packed, well before tip, for a 1 o'clock start on a Sunday against the Pacers. (Okay, maybe it helped that the Patriots were playing the Sunday night game.) When Shaquille O'Neal jogged out of the tunnel as the rest of the team warmed up -- signifying he was going to play for the first time in five games -- the place went bananas (thought not as bananas as when Shaq caught an alley-oop from Paul Pierce in the first quarter, slammed it through with one hand while being fouled by Jeff Foster, then covered the distance between the bucket and the sideline in four giant strides -- "Fee Fi Fo Fum!") The players were met with thunderous chants of "DE-FENSE! DE-FENSE" in the third quarter despite a listless, disjointed performance from the Cs on the offensive end during the entire period. And the crowd, like the team, rose to the occasion in the crucial fourth quarter, helping to put the Pacers away by creating an overwhelming atmosphere.

I know how good Boston fans are, and I'm not saying that the crowd was "bad" in each of the last two seasons when I want to see a game. But it's different this year; it's like it was in 2007-08.

I'm not guaranteeing that we'll win the title. I'm not even guaranteeing that we won't suffer through the same mediocre stretch of mid-season basketball we saw last season and the one before. But our current 13-game winning streak will end, perhaps sooner rather than later, and at some point, we'll lose a couple in a row and people will start to talk about how it's the same old thing from the same old Celtics. But I'm here to say that I think things are different this year -- and that the fans in Boston do, too.

No comments: