Friday, January 9, 2009

Viewing Alert

Huge game tonight, as Boston travels to Cleveland to take on the East-leading Cavs. It's on ESPN at 8 p.m. Eastern. This has major implications for our mindset, as well as the Eastern Conference in general.

I didn't watch Tuesday's overtime loss at Charlotte. I had been out with some old co-workers and when I got back, I couldn't bear the thought of two-and-a-half hours of us losing to the Bobcats. I did catch Tuesday's 89-85 defeat at home against Tracy McGrady-less Houston.

I'm stumped as to why we're losing suddenly, six of eight after such an incredible start. I haven't been watching as much or as closely over the past few weeks because of all the running around I've done on winter break, but I'm coming up empty trying to think of reasons why we aren't scoring and aren't stopping people. I really thought we had the Rockets after Garnett made that great dish to Rajon Rondo (you can see it at the end of the highlight reel in the game link, above) and then blocked a shot on the other end. But we couldn't take advantage on the other end, and Houston's Von Wafer hit the game-winning three.

I was disappointed in our effort down the stretch in that one, partially because we failed to protect homecourt, and partially because we got outplayed by an inferior team down the stretch (for the last few minutes, the Rockets were without McGrady and Ron Artest, who fouled out). It's especially concerning because the game was an intense one; a couple typically hard Artest fouls on Paul Pierce made sure of that.

I really don't know what to expect tonight out of the Cs. I want to say they'll come out and play a great game, but there's something going on besides mindset. They can't still be in a funk from the loss to the Lakers. They've had plenty of opportunity over these last eight games to rebound, and they haven't done it. It's not a matter of just showing up and willing themselves to play well. It's more than that. And they're going to have to bring their very best tonight if they want to win in Cleveland.

No comments: