Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Boston 115, Toronto 109 (OT)

(Don't know what's up with the formatting. Sorry, gang.)
We're still not right. The Raptors were again without Jermaine O'Neal, and didn't have Jose Calderon, either, and we struggled to beat them at home.
I didn't watch this game because it was on NBATV, so I can't say much about it. Paul Pierce led the way with 39 points, and let me turn your attention to the first few paragraphs of the wire story on the game. Kevin Garnett, for at least the second time this season, referred to Pierce as Superman in the post-game press conference. I'm not bringing the following up to drum up controversy (I don't have enough readers for that, anyway). It's just something I've had on my mind for a while.
Almost from the moment Pierce and Garnett joined forces with Ray Allen last year, the biggest concern I've had that it wasn't going to click rest with Allen. Garnett would see plenty of time in the spotlight, as his superstardom was unmatched by the other two; and anyway, he was, by reputation, the most selfless of the three. Pierce and Ray were in similar situations, actually, All-Stars playing on bad teams, but Pierce was the incumbent. Ray was the newcomer. I wondered how he'd deal with being the third banana.
All in all, it's been pretty good. I remember some rumblings this summer about Ray being unhappy -- and rumors of a trade to (I think) Charlotte for (I think) Gerald Wallace. Who knows how credible those rumors were, and if Ray was or is upset, he's kept remarkably quiet.
But I can't help but notice the clear hierarchy among the Big Three. KG famously insisted that Pierce, not he, be introduced last at the start of every home game, which is all well and good, except that Ray's name never really entered the conversation. These are trivial matters, and, after all, not everyone can be introduced last, but we should at least acknowledge that Ray went from a team where he was the unquestionable top dog to the third most recognizable or popular player on his team.
It continued after the championship, too. Pierce naturally got the most press, having played his whole career in Boston, having survived the stabbing and the Pitino Era and losing season after losing season. Garnett's raw emotion and on-camera candidness made him a prime target for footage after the Finals; the NBA player who most wanted a ring finally got his. If Ray were more like KG -- if he were inclined to scream at the top of his lungs on national TV "ANYTHING'S POSSIBBBLLLE!!!!" -- maybe he would have received more press. But he's not KG, personality-wise, not even close.
(You know, I always find the post-Game 6 clip of KG described above strange. A 66-win team led by three stars of their generation hardly seems to be the unlikely event that Garnett's chosen phrase seems to make it out to be.)
The point of all this is that I wonder how Ray feels about it all. KG has gone out of his way to make sure Pierce is comfortable (the aforementioned insistence that Pierce be introduced last; constant reassurances in the press that this is Pierce's team), but you don't hear the same things about Ray. It's a little striking, particularly this year, when you could make a case that Ray has been the best player on the team. Pierce's 39 earned the win tonight, but Ray's 36 saved our asses on Sunday, and he didn't get Garnett comparing him to a superhero.
Like I said, I'm not trying to stir up controversy. Just something I've been tracking a little bit, and chose to write about on a night I couldn't watch the game.
Quick notes on what I can glean from the recap and box score:
-22 points in overtime is a franchise record. It's also more points than we scored in either the first or fourth quarter.
-49 minutes for Pierce, 45 for Ray, 40 apiece for Garnett and Rajon Rondo on the second night of a back-t0-back with another game on Wednesday (vs. New Jersey at 7:30 p.m. Eastern, no national TV). Yuck. Tony Allen's ankle injury hurts us in that he's the primary backup for both Ray and Pierce.
-No Kendrick Perkins again tonight, and a buddy who was listening to the broadcast tonight said that Doc doesn't expect him back til at least after the weekend. Our next two games are both against the Nets, and Jersey's rookie center, Brook Lopez, just went for 31 and 13 Monday night. I've been pretty happy with how Brian Scalabrine has played in Perk's absence (on both ends; he actually had 11 points Monday), but I think Lopez is probably too big for him -- though I think Garnett will handle him fine. The Chairman, Yi Jianlian, didn't play Monday because of a hand injury that will sideline him for a few weeks, and the Nets started rookie Ryan Anderson at power forward. I haven't seen a ton of Anderson (actually, not sure I've seen him at all as a pro, and only fleetingly in college), but my impression is that he's a younger, slimmer, better Scal, perhaps the player Danny Ainge hoped Scalabrine would be when he threw all that money at him a few years ago. Might be fun to see the two of them square off.
Talk to you after the game on Wednesday.

No comments: